June 20, 2014
If I had to describe what marlin fishing is all about with one photo, it would be this one (see below). As a fisherman, I know you can relate to this moment of truth and that is “the bite.” With all the tournaments going on this weekend, I’m hoping some Captain of the Year Cup team is doing this exact thing as you read this. Hook ’em good!
Not much has changed with the Cup standings this week. Nine boats left Boat Harbour in the Bahamas early this week and arrived in Bermuda Wednesday afternoon. The International Division Points leader Capt. Eddie Wheeler on Marlin Darlin said the crossing was beautiful for the 740-mile trek which took him 56 hours and 1,500 gallons of fuel, chugging for 46 hours and running for only 10 hours. Boats are already starting to fish Bermuda this season and the first Cup Sanctioned event will be the Bermuda Billfish Release Cup June 30-July 2. Will Wheeler be able to hold on to the lead switching gears from the Bahamas to the big girls in Bermuda?
Captain Rob Moore and team Fa-La-Me stuck around the Bahamas this week and are currently fishing the final leg of the BBC. Could this be a strategic move to increase their points chances? Placing and/or winning the overall Championship will boost Captain Moore into the top International Division spotlight.
East Coast Division leader Capt. Dan Woody on Syked Out is trying his luck in the Carolina Billfish Classic this weekend. Over in the Gulf of Mexico, the Emerald Coast Blue Marlin Classic is underway and Capt. Devin Potts on the Sea Mixer is trying to keep his winning streak alive and score more Cup points because he knows a 200-point lead is too small with the quality of teams on his tail.
In Hawaii the fish are starting to bite and the first Cup Sanctioned event, the Kona Kickoff, starts June 28-29, 2014.
For all tournament updates this weekend click here
Have a great weekend! Dale
Capt. Dan Woody, Skyed Out, 800 Points
- Georgetown Blue Marlin Tournament, 2nd Place, 300 Pts.
- Bohicket Billfish Tournament, 1st Place, 500 Pts.
Capt. Hunter Blount, Coverage, 500 Points
- Hatteras Village Offshore Open, 1st Place, 500 Pts.
Capt. Wink Doerzbacher, Showtime!, 1350 Points
- Pelican Yacht Club Tournament, 1st Place, 500 Pts.
- The Masters Tournament, 2nd Place, 300 Pts.
- Gold Cup Invitational, 2nd Place, 300 Pts.
- Treasure Coast Championship, 250 Pts.
Capt. Randy Yates, Miss Annie, 1000 Points
- Silver Sailfish Derby, 1st Place, 500 Pts.
- Buccanner Cup/Fish for Life, 1st Place, 500 Pts.
Capt. Devin Potts, Sea Mixer, 1000 Points
- Orange Beach Billfish Classic, 1st Place Harvest, 500 Pts.
- Cajun Canyon Billfish Classic, 1st Place Harvest, 500 Pts.
Capt. Jimmy Crochet, Conundrum, 800 Points
- Orange Beach Billfish Classic, 2nd Place, 300 Pts.
- Mississippi Gulf Coast Billfish Classic, 1st Place, 500 Pts.
- June 28 is the first Sanctioned event
Capt. Eddie Wheeler, Marlin Darlin, 1200 Points
- Bahamas Billfish Championship, Leg 1, 2nd Place, 300 Pts.
- Bakers Bay Invitational 2nd Place, 300 Pts.
- Bahamas Billfish Championship, Leg 3, 1st Place, 500 Pts.
- Abaco Beach Blue Marlin Invitational, 3rd Place, 100 Pts.
Capt. Rob Moore, Fa La Me, 800 Points
- Casa de Campo Blue Marlin Classic, 1st Place, 500 Pts.
- Bahamas Billfish Championship, Leg 3, 2nd Place, 300 Pts.