For immediate release
June 15, 2014
CATCH THE FUN! 2ND MARLIN FEST SET FOR AUGUST 5 – 11, 2014
Photo: ‘Jump-Up’ and Caribbean Night at 2013 Marlin Fest.
Credit: Courtesy of Jimmy Loveland
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Soccer has its World Cup. Tennis its Wimbledon and Cycling its Tour de France. Now, the ‘Super Bowl of Sports Fishing’ has made it easy for fans to join in on the excitement of big game fishing at its best. Welcome to Marlin Fest!
“Marlin Fest is a week of fun packaged vacation activities planned around the USVI Open/Atlantic Blue Marlin Tournament (ABMT) or ‘Boy Scout Tournament’ for the tournament’s chief beneficiary,” explains tournament director Jimmy Loveland. “It’s also an opportunity for fishermen and fishing enthusiasts from around the globe to see some of the finest fishing machines in the world docked one slip after another, personally meet the owners and builders, and learn techniques from the crews whose photos you see in magazines.”
Marlin Fest is a great way for family and friends to see and experience the Virgin Islands, plus be amongst the tournament activities even if not fishing. It’s also a great way for fishermen to visit this U.S. territory on a recon mission and consider fishing the ABMT in the future.
Week-long special activities include:
• Tuesday August 5: MarlinFest ‘Sun Set’ Welcome Party, Paradise Point, St. Thomas.
• Wednesday August 6: BVI Excursion. One day, four stops: Snorkel St. John; lunch in Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke; swim off deserted Sandy Cay; and drinks at Soggy Dollar Bar, White Bay, Jost Van Dyke.
• Saturday & Sunday, August 9 & 10: Wet N’ Wild Center Console Tournament. Fish for billfish, wahoo and yellowfin tuna on the South Drop. Prizes for Best Boat and top three anglers. Center console boats are available for charter. Plus, fishermen may want to ship their own boat down and spend a few months fishing in the productive Virgin Islands waters. Entrants from USVI, Puerto Rico, St. Martin and U.S. mainland expected!
• Saturday August 9: Red Hook ‘Jump Up’ – Arts & Crafts, Music and Food in Red Hook, St. Thomas, 9:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
• Sunday August 10: Golf Tournament at Mahogany Run Golf Course, St. Thomas. First prize is a full-day blue marlin trip aboard the Marlin Prince for four anglers. Hit a hole in won and earn free entry into the 2015 ABMT!
• Monday August 11: BBQ Beach Farewell Party. Ribs, chicken and all the fixings at beautiful Lindquist Beach Bay, St. Thomas.
To join in any or all of these activities, simply visit www.abmt.vi/pages/mfweb.htm, book your reservation and pay by credit card. Checks are made out to the Boy Scouts of America. Mail to: ABMT, 6616 Estate Nadir, St. Thomas, VI 00802. Buy early as some of the activities have limited participation. Deadline to receive your payment for this event is August 1, 2014.
Of course, a big part of the fun is visiting the IGY American Yacht Harbor Marina in the early evening when the fishing fleet returns to the docks. The number of flags flying on the outriggers equals the number of marlin each boat has released for the day. The boat that releases the most marlin first wins! Fishing days are August 7, 8, 9 and 11, 2014.
Marlin Fest, developed as a community backed project, has been created to help fund the growing youth programs of the Boy Scouts of America, the ABMT’s beneficiary for four decades.
For more information, call: (340) 775-9500, Email: email@example.com or visit www.abmt.vi